Compass Course - Everyone is Welcome to Attend
ALBERTA CAREGIVER ASSOCIATION COMPASS COURSE
Another Connection we offer is the Alberta Caregiver Association's Compass for the Caregiver Program. This is an 8 week program that assists participants in a caregiving role to mobilize their personal assets and strengths for self care.
Do you provide care for a family or friend? Caregiving can be stressful, isolating and have a negative impact on your physical and mental health. Compass teaches caregivers to care for themselves. The program is facilitated by a past caregiver who understands the journey and can offer insights to make it less difficult.
Oftentimes, caregivers don't recognize their needs—or put them off as being not important—or I'll deal with it later. Meanwhile, they are compromising their own health and ability to care for their loved ones.
The 8 weekly topics are listed below:
- Caregiver Characteristics - Recognize your role as a caregiver and take pride in your contributions to a healthy society.
- The Emotional Journey - Explore your emotions and put the feeling of guilt about being mad or sad into perspective.
- Knowing your Capabilities - Understand that you have strengths and needs, and learn how to seek support for your work.
- Assertiveness and Sharing the Care - Become more confident, gain assertiveness to get what you need and learn how to ask for help.
- Putting Yourself First - The hardest lesson. Regain your identity as a whole person by taking care of yourself First.
- Caregiver Burnout - Learn how stress can lead to burnout and what you can do to prevent this.
- Navigating the System - Increase your confidence in accessing services by building your communication skills.
- Planning for the Journey Ahead - Reflect on your caregiving journey and plan for the future to avoid the stress of uncertainty.